Cheltenham's History

Foundation date is 1907, W.H. Barnett was the first President and R.Mcfarlane the first Secretary. Local residents called a meeting and a bowls club was established in in Cheltenham park near the Railway Station. In 19227, a block of land in Holmby road was obtained,the transfer to the new green being accomplished in 1930. By 1945, a larger area of about two acres was obtained at the present site on the corner of Wilson Street and Centre Dandenong Road and a twelve rink green was ready in 1947.Electric Lights were installed over one green in 1954 when the green was divided to make sixteen rinks. A liquor licence was granted in 1977. The Club was incorporated in 1995 both greens were totally reconstructed and further major work was done prior to the 2008-2009 season. In 2016-2016 the club upgraded the east green from bent grass to Tiftdwarf grass. The club has recently put in a solar system. The west green has just  been transferred to Tiftdwarf grass ready for the new season 2019-2020

Our Sponsors